Certificate in Health Equity and Health Disparities
The Certificate in Health Equity and Health Disparities is an interdisciplinary academic credential that provides a background in the social and behavioral determinants of health. Those who complete the certificate will have enhanced skills and knowledge to enable them, as citizens in their communities, to generate health equity and reduce health disparities.
Courses in this program are designed to:
- Prepare graduates to participate in community planning and action
- Affect community social, political, and economic factors that affect the way people live, their consequent chance of illness, and their risk of premature death.
- Advance the capacity of local organizations to tackle the root causes of health inequities through action, their organizational structure, policy and law.
- Help students to engage in research that will enhance the understanding of the causes, processes, consequences and prevention of health disparities
- Enhance career opportunities for students
- Prepare students for graduate school applications and scholarship opportunities